Liturgical Language for Bards


1. Translate the three phrases below into the languages of three different hearth cultures practices in ADF, and submit a digital recording or cassette tape of these phrases:

English
Greek
Latin
Gaelic
So Be It
Έστω

Fiat

Mar sin bitheadh

We Thank You
χάριν υμὶν ἔχομεν

Gratias tibi agamus

Tapadh leibh

Accept this sacrifice/offering
δέχομαι θυσία μας

(Morwood)
Acceptum hoc sacrificio

(Riddle)
Glac dh’iobair

(Armstrong)


My recording of these phrases can be found here:




2.  Compose a simple inspirational invocation to three bardic deities, one each from three different hearth cultures, as practiced in ADF. (Minimum of four lines per invocation)

Invocation to Ceridwen (Welsh)

Ceridwen, goddess of transformation,
Inspiration, and knowledge,
Mighty magic maker,
And keeper of the Cauldron of Inspiration.
You who birthed Taliesin,
Great poet and bard of Wales.
You are the womb of potential
From which inspiration flows.
I ask for your aid.
Grant me the blessings of inspiration,
From deep within your cauldron.
Let my thoughts transform,
And the words flow through me.


Apollo Bardic Invocation (Greek)

O, Apollo, son of Zeus and Leto,
Patron of poetry,
God of the golden lyre,
Who delights all of Olympus,
I call you here today.
Let my words be pleasing
to all who receive them.
Let your poetry inspire my words,
Let your music lift my spirit,
And let my inspiration soar
Like a song on the wind.



Brigid – An Inspiration Invocation (Irish)

Brigid, glorious goddess of fire,
Fires that blaze in the hearth,
Fires in the forge of hard work,
And fires that burn in my heart,
I call to you now.
May the flames of inspiration
burn away my inhibitions,
May your blessings of poetry
Help to guide my words.
Let your creativity shine through me,
Lady Brigid of the bards,
Hear my call!



Works Cited

Armstrong, Robert Archibald. A Gaelic Dictionary in Two Parts. To which is Prefixed a New Gaelic Grammar. London: Temple Printing Office, 1825.

Morwood, James. Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.

Riddle, Rev. J.E. A Complete English-Latin Dictionary. London: Longmond, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1838.



0 comments:

Post a Comment