Book 5: Part 2 - Building a Raft

After meeting with Hermes, Calypso knew she had to talk with Odysseus.  She goes to him and finds him sitting upon the shore, crying. She calls to him, “Odysseus, man of my heart, whom I love so, while I long to keep you here, I will set you free.  Together we will build a raft. I will give you food and drink, and you can venture home.” Odysseus tells her he won’t embark without an oath that she won’t work mischief against him. Calypso swears on the river Styx that she will care for Odysseus and not challenge him through further mischief.  However. She also asks him why he wants to leave. Odysseus responds, “I long for the day of my homecoming, and if some gods wreck me again I will endure it for I have a patient mind. I have suffered many troubles and hardships.” With that, Odysseus begins the work of building a raft.

Working Method:  Crafting

Enter a trance state in your preferred method. Then, take the time to build yourself a miniature version of Odysseus's raft. This can be crafted out of clay, or sticks, or whatever medium you prefer. As you lay each "log" explain what that log represents. What is it that helps keep you afloat when life gets hard? What brings you joy and helps you sail through life? Those are the items that should be represented in your raft.

0 comments:

Post a Comment