Theatre for Ritual 2



1.     Describe internalizing text and concepts. Explain the difference between internalized and memorized text. What advantages or disadvantages does internalizing text have when compared to reading from a script? (100 words minimum)

            Internalization is defined as “to incorporate within the self as conscious or subconscious guiding principles” (Merriam-Webster).  Internalizing texts means that not only do you know the words, you understand the meaning and message behind them completely.  Memorized text allows you to speak the words verbatim, expressing the same idea over and over with no variation.  Internalization allows you to not only have the words memorized, but to be so comfortable with them, that you can speak the words from your heart, not necessarily word for word, and still express the same idea.   You understand what is being said and you don’t have to remember how to say it.   When you have something internalized, it becomes much easier to improvise as well, which makes rituals have the ability to be more spontaneous and less rehearsed and pre-planned (Thomas). 
2.     Describe the importance of support and resonance in vocal projection. What role does diction play in communicating ideas? (300 words minimum)

            Breath support is an important part of vocal projection.  It allows for “strong and directed” speech (Thomas).  Our words are carried by our breath, and if you don’t have a strong breath, the your voice, and the words, can falter mid-sentence.  This loses the power behind it, and can make it difficult to hear, especially in a large group setting, or in an environment not conducive to communication, such as a large public park, or a wedding with 200 attendees. 
            Resonance is defined as “the quality in a sound of being deep, full, and reverberating” (Merriam-Webster).  By paying attention to the way your speech resonates in your body, you can use your pronunciation and your chest to increase the amount and quality of sound that is produced by our voice (Thomas) .  A fuller voice with strong reverberation can be heard more easily in a group setting.  This can be vital in a public ritual setting, or at a big event when you’re trying to speak to a large number of people at once.
            Diction is a part of speech that I find incredibly important in communicating thoughts and ideas, especially in rituals.  We use our words to communicate, both with each other and with the Kindred that we are inviting to our rituals.  If we do not enunciate our words, the meaning of our message may be lost upon our audience, or even upon the Kindred.  If you’re in a large space and are expecting the words to carry a great distance, it is necessary to focus on your diction in order for the message to be relayed as clearly as possible.  The distortion of sound increases with distance, so when you can’t rely on someone standing nearby to hear your speech, using breath support, resonance, and diction can help guarantee that not only can they hear you, but they can understand the message you are trying to convey. 

3.     Write a simple ritual and internalize the text. Perform it three times (not more frequently than once per week) and take notes regarding the performance each time. Describe the changes you made during the process and why those changes were made. (300 words minimum)

             I wrote a simple ritual to honor Athena and the many gifts that she has brought to my life.  It’s a short COoR rite that I intend to perform each Monday when I get to my office at work. 
Week 1
            Athena is someone I have been devoted to longer than I can even remember, and as someone who loves learning and works in the education field, it felt appropriate to honor her to start each week.   Yet for some reason, the first week I felt a little awkward.  I knew the point of my rite and the words that I wanted to say,  but saying them out loud I felt odd and I stumbled a bit.  I had prepared specific offerings for the different beings that I honored in the ritual, but ultimately that felt a bit restricting since part of the rite was then dictated instead of being able to just improvise completely.  Also, the opening, closing, and statement of purpose were a little rough since it was a new ritual space and I wasn’t sure how I wanted to start.  I’ll definitely put more thought into that next week.
Omen:  Theta, Chi, Pi
Week 2
            I performed my ritual for Athena again today, and definitely felt a bit more relaxed.  The words to Athena flow easily since I’ve worked with her for so long.  Opening and closing the rite felt a bit more natural, because I spent a lot of time this week thinking about why I wanted to do this ritual. Ultimately that work paid off in the smoothness of my Statement of Purpose.  I also changed my offerings, giving each being part of my morning tea and that felt much more natural and less cumbersome in the office space.  I do think working with a deity I’m so familiar with definitely helps the internalization feel more natural.  I think this would be harder with a hearth or being that I am less familiar with.
Omen: Eta, Delta, Chi
Week 3
            This week, I came across a realization that helps me understand why my rituals feel so structured and strict.  I have spent so much of my time doing public rituals where I have to explain each step of the ritual before I do it, that being able to just do a ritual without those explanations feels unnatural. I realized after last week’s rite that I was still explaining my actions, even though I was standing alone,  I don’t think I need to in this rite, so this week I didn’t.  It still feels a little awkward, like I’m leaving something out, but I know over time it will get better.  This has been an interesting new experimentation for me, but I hope to continue doing these rites each Monday morning because it’s a wonderful way to start my work week.
Omen:  Epsilon, Eta, Lambda

4.     Submit a video recording of at least yourself performing a ritual, taking into account the following performance elements.

            The ritual I’ve recorded is something that I typically perform with my children.  These rituals have more songs and stories included than a lot of rituals since they are aimed at kids, and they can seem a bit silly at times, but my kids really enjoy them.  However, that also means that the words aren’t as “deep” as you may find with other rites.  Also, please excuse my singing voice…my children are a sympathetic audience. 





Works Cited

Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster Dictionary. n.d. 2019. <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary>.

Thomas, Rev. Kirk S. The Well-Trained Ritualist. n.d. September 2019. <https://www.adf.org/system/files/public/rituals/explanations/Well-Trained-Ritualist.pdf>.



0 comments:

Post a Comment