Technical Competence – Three Drawings




1.     Exit Standard: Submit required drawings with brief paragraph descriptions of each.

            Drawing 1:  Still Life – Owl Figure
           
                      

            For my first drawing, I found myself drawn to the small altar I keep on my desk at work.  On this altar is a small purple owl that represents the nature spirits and also makes me think of Athena.  I drew this little owl several times and overall, I’ve learned that Still Life is not my strong point.  My artistic style tends to be a lot more cartoony than based in realism, so my still life drawing looks like a cartoon version of my owl figure.  The different values help show dimension and give weight and depth to certain items.  It also shows you where your light source comes from and helps it seem more realistic, even in my cartoon-y style.

           
Drawing 2:  Landscape – Sacred Grove




This is a landscape drawing of my vision of the sacred center.  Standing firm in the background is Olympus, the tie to our Omphalos.  In the foreground is the sacred tree, firmly rooted in the ground.  Above and below drawing, you can see two of the symbols from the Cosmos sigil represented as well.  I used a lot of value in this drawing, especially in the tree, to give it dimension.  You can see the shadows in the tree and the values help give additional dimension.  I am very pleased with how the tree turned out in this drawing. The mountain probably could use some additional work, but I like the bright highlight matching the lighted edge of the tree.   This drawing shows a fairly symmetrical and centered composition, helping it feel balanced overall.


Drawing 3:  Greek Temple


 
When I began exploring perspective in my art class, I immediately began to think of the marble-pillared temples found in Greece, like the Parthenon. I decided to create my perspective drawing to reflect that style of building using two-point perspective.   While this drawing isn’t showing any specific temple, I think the effect is decent.  If I were to add additional values to this drawing I think it would make it seem more three-dimensional, giving shape to the pillars, etc. As it is, the drawing does look fairly flat, but I think that the perspective itself is appropriate.  


Drawing 4: Portrait – Athena




As I approached this final submission, I realized that all of them had been tied to Athena in some way, so I decided that I would try to draw her as my portrait submission.  I didn’t want to get too tied up in details, or I knew I would beat myself up, so instead I focused on a line drawing.  There are different thickness and valued lines to show detail or shadow, but in general I tried to keep it quite simple.  I am pretty proud of the helmet although I do wish I had drawn it in a different place so that I would have had room for the entire helmet to fit.  Overall though, I’m quite proud of this submission.

0 comments:

Post a Comment